Saturday, August 30, 2025
Home Tenis After Victoria Mboko upsets Coco Gauff, tennis insider calls out WTA as...

After Victoria Mboko upsets Coco Gauff, tennis insider calls out WTA as 18-year-old remains faceless on official site amid Montreal run

A tennis insider has called out the WTA for failing to upload a photo of Victoria Mboko on their website, leaving her profile faceless even after a stunning win over Coco Gauff at the Canadian Open. The teenager became the youngest Canadian quarterfinalist at the tournament in nearly four decades.

Ad

On August 2, the 18-year-old wildcard took on the World No. 2 for the second time in a span of a few months. Gauff battled hard and defeated Mboko in three sets in Rome.

However, on the teenager’s home turf, the American was pushed aside in one hour and two minutes, as Mboko registered an emphatic 6-1, 6-4 win. Currently ranked World No. 85 after claiming multiple low-level titles earlier in the year, Mboko still does not have an image uploaded on her profile page on the WTA website.

Ad

Jon Wertheim pointed this out in a post on X. He shared an image of the Canadian rising star's profile and captioned it:

"Imagine you're a casual fan, interested in learning more about this hyper-talented teenager on the cusp of a huge upset...and seeing this:"

Ad

Victria Mboko began the season ranked No. 333 and has surged to No. 53 in the live rankings after stunning Coco Gauff in Montreal. At the Canadian Open, the 18-year-old is now the youngest Canadian quarterfinalist since 1987 and only the second wild card in Open Era history to beat the top seed.


Viktoria Mboko reflects on a déjà vu moment from her Rome clash during a stunning Canadian Open win over Coco Gauff

Coco Gauff and Victoria Mboko after their WTA 1000 National Bank Open clash - Source: Getty
Coco Gauff and Victoria Mboko after their WTA 1000 National Bank Open clash - Source: Getty

After pushing Coco Gauff to three sets earlier this season in Rome, Viktoria Mboko came better prepared for their Canadian Open clash, and it showed. The Canadian teenager stunned the top seed in straight sets, showcasing grit and composure beyond her years.

Ad

Reflecting on a deja vu moment during the match, Victoria Mboko told Sportsnet:

"When I actually won the first set here, I kind of had flashbacks to what was going on when I played her in Rome. So, I was like, 'Okay. You need to step it up a level. You need to stay in there with her.' She's such a fighter and I know that, so I just wanted to stay solid and I wanted to be right there with and her and take as many opportunities as I could."

In her first WTA 1000 quarterfinal, Mboko is set to clash against another debutant at this stage, Jessica Bouzas Maneiro. The 22-year-old Spaniard got the better of qualifier Louisa Chirico, 26th seed Ashlyn Krueger, qualifier Aoi Ito, and Lin Zhu to qualify for her maiden quarterfinals at a WTA 1000 event.

Quick Links

Edited by Tushhita Barua
RELATED ARTICLES

WATCH: Heartwarming scenes as mid-match marriage proposal steals the spotlight during Aryna Sabalenka’s US Open 3R win

During the match between World No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka and Leylah Fernandez at Louis Armstrong Stadium, the spotlight shifted, and all eyes were on a couple. An entirely different scene stole the show as the match hit a pause for a proposal. Ad During a break in play, the stadium’s big screen cut to the

Ben Shelton press conference: Everything American said after worrying retirement at US Open, from addressing painful injury to focusing on ‘blessings’

Ben Shelton's US Open campaign came to a heartbreaking end on Friday after he was forced to withdraw mid-game from his third round encounter against Adrian Mannarino. After the match, the American opened up about his injury in his press conference, while emphasising his gratitude for the ‘blessings’ in his life. Ad Shelton kicked off

Taylor Townsend shares heartwarming story about her son Adyn’s proud declaration to his teachers as he gears up to join her at US Open

Taylor Townsend shared a heartfelt anecdote about her son, Adyn Aubrey, proudly talking about her to his teachers ahead of joining her at the US Open. The American's campaign began on August 25 at the Arthur Ashe Stadium. Ad Townsend was last seen in action during the third round of the US Open on August

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

WATCH: Heartwarming scenes as mid-match marriage proposal steals the spotlight during Aryna Sabalenka’s US Open 3R win

During the match between World No. 1 Aryna Sabalenka and Leylah Fernandez at Louis Armstrong Stadium, the spotlight shifted, and all eyes were on a couple. An entirely different scene stole the show as the match hit a pause for a proposal. Ad During a break in play, the stadium’s big screen cut to the

Ben Shelton press conference: Everything American said after worrying retirement at US Open, from addressing painful injury to focusing on ‘blessings’

Ben Shelton's US Open campaign came to a heartbreaking end on Friday after he was forced to withdraw mid-game from his third round encounter against Adrian Mannarino. After the match, the American opened up about his injury in his press conference, while emphasising his gratitude for the ‘blessings’ in his life. Ad Shelton kicked off

NBA Trade Rumors: Warriors, Knicks and one other team enter sweepstakes for $22,500,000 former ROTY

The Golden State Warriors are just two months away from their opening day game against the LA Lakers. Even as the offseason reaches its conclusion, the Warriors continue to explore options to bolster their rotation for the 2025-26 campaign. Ad According to NBA insider Jake Fischer, Golden State is one of three teams that are

“On the court, f**k him” – Mark Cuban drops unfiltered take on relationship with Luka Doncic as he predicts Lakers to struggle in the...

Mark Cuban expressed his shock and disbelief after the Dallas Mavericks traded Luka Doncic to the LA Lakers in early February. On the “Your Mom’s House” podcast in March, the billionaire said that he was “dumbfounded” by the Mavs’ decision to deal Doncic away for Anthony Davis. Cuban claims he continues to communicate with the

Recent Comments